I’m a user experience designer from Seattle.
I like thinking about screens, history, and the future. I have an undergrad degree in history from UC Berkeley, and a Master’s in Information Management from the University of Washington iSchool.
I work for Amazon’s Advertising Experience & Technology group, making our ad business more interesting and better for customers. Some of my projects at Amazon include:Ad Landing Pages
An internal tool for Amazon designers to make landing pages without writing any code. Advertise Your App
Do-it-yourself ad campaigns for app developers. Featured in TechCrunch! Amazon Mobile ad placements
Scaling a worldwide ads business as our customers migrate to mobile shopping. Mobile Add to Cart ad format
A new eCommerce-enabled ad format, unique to Amazon. Mobile interstitial ad format
Iterative design and development of a full screen ad format for third-party apps. Fit ratings (internship project)
A detail page feature that helps you pick the right size for clothes.
I don’t write here very often, but when I get something stuck in my head, it’s nice to have a blog!
- 07/2013 Are Coders Worth It?
- 01/2013 Best of 2012
- 11/2012 Taking Notes
- 08/2012 Life During Wartime
- 03/2012 Reading “Steve Jobs”
- 11/2011 Voice and Tone
- 10/2011 Vannevar Bush’s Democracy: “Modern Arms and Free Men”
- 09/2011 “Because the seams are hid from us, you see.”
- 08/2011 “A Man in Time of War”: How Colonial Boys Became American Men, 1765–1775
- 08/2011 Believing in Belief: William James’s “Varieties” and the New Atheism
- 08/2011 My Favorite Lincoln Story
- 07/2011 “Zap Gremlins…”
- 06/2011 History as Contest
- 06/2011 William Hogeland on not learning history
- 06/2011 Why You Can’t Quote Philip K. Dick
- 04/2011 John Adams’s Quarter-Life Crisis
- 04/2011 Bob Dylan in China
- 04/2011 Harbottle Dorr and the Boston Massacre
- 02/2011 UC Berkeley Students in the Loyalty Oath Crisis, 1949–1951
- 02/2011 The Supreme Love and Revolutionary Funk of Cornel West, Philosopher of the Blues
- 02/2011 Gordon Wood reviews Jill Lepore’s “The Whites of Their Eyes”
- 01/2011 A Mind in the Water
- 01/2011 Scott Nearing, “Social Sanity,” and Eugenics
- 10/2010 Newspaper Culture in Old California
- 09/2010 Mark Twain on Constellations
- 04/2010 Breathe Our Iodine: Big Sur
- 04/2010 Robert Hooke: The Keith Richards of Science